Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Good Afternoon...

Tuesday afternoon. 2:05 pm. I've been awake for over 4 hours. Yes, seems like I'm ready to get back into the swing of the just-above-mundane routine. I'm hoping I can switch things up this semester. I want the first and second semesters of my 3rd year in college to have a stark contrast; one very different than the other. Maybe I'll be able to break out of the work/school/repeat routine that as of right now I'm very much dreading. Maybe not...Another time's discussion.

I've been trying to get back to the gym. Get back in shape. Not a new years resolution, no. I think that sort of resolution is a waste of time honestly. I mean, you just end up making it every single year. It never changes. Or maybe it just doesn't change for those of us who aren't determined enough to make it change.

And that's all that it comes down to: Determination. But what are we determined to do in life? Not all the same things resonate with all of us the same way; music and writing to me may be statistical models and engineering stuff (that's as specific as I can get in a field I don't understand) to you. I think we get too caught up in seeing our picture, and not the bigger one. It's not all about us. If you like to get in shape, great. I personally enjoy it when I can find the time. It is a great stress reliever, which is great cause I carry a large burden of stress that I shouldn't let myself carry. It keeps you healthy, both physically and mentally. It crosses over into every aspect of your life if you're dedicated enough, such as encouraging a healthier diet, productive relaxation time, etc. So I guess it can be considered ironic that I am trying to get myself back into shape, back into the habit of being healthy...but only by consistently building a little muscle here and there and trying to get by with a measly cardio workout. I still have an unhealthy diet and (at times) lifestyle.

I don't know if I have a point here. I guess what I'm trying to say is this: the amount of effort I dedicate to getting in shape, it works. For me. It's not gonna do as much for me as for someone who goes the full ten yards with the diet/lifestyle/etc. But it does something for me. And that's why it's worthwhile. Maybe one day soon I'll convince myself that eating better may be a bit of an inconvenience now but a big help in the long run. Somehow, I think senior citizen Jonathan might thank me for it if I do. Cheesy, but true. So that's why I gotta look at the whole picture.

But again, it's about being happy. If I'm not completely in shape, but I'm making efforts, and that works for me, don't judge. Don't pounce on that because you would approach it differently. You aren't me are you? If your way works for you, and has much better results, more power to you. Feel free to recommend to me what you are doing differently. But a recommendation is all that is necessary. So basically, we are all responsible for ourselves. You need to surround yourself with people who care about your well being, and health. But you need to surround yourself with people who know their path is not yours, and vice versa. It's how we meet along that path and what we do when we meet that matters to me.


Sorry for the working out analogy, my muscles are really sore and that's all I can think about....maybe the healthier eating should be implemented sooner rather than later.

Cheers,
-J

No comments:

Post a Comment