Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Thankful.

I'm trying to be more thankful for everything that I am fortunate enough to have in life. It should never be about what we don't have. That seems obvious, but think about contentment. When have we ever truly been content with just what we have? When have we had no complaints about life, nothing else that we'd add to our list of 'wants'? I've had those points of utter contentment, but I would be lying if I said that was all the time. But I'm determined to focus on what I do have and be thankful for it. Always.

I'm thankful for great friends. Friends that will always be a phone call away. Friends that make a bunch of us dinner selflessly. Friends that will never kick you when you're down. Friends that won't leave you down, but will help you get back on your feet. I'll always have my friends' backs, and I'm glad that they have mine.

Some people pride themselves in being as independent as possible. There is nothing wrong with independence. Every year that goes by I become more independent in terms of living, finances, keeping up with obligations, decision making, you name it. It's part of the natural progression of life, although I will admit that this happens at drastically different rates. But anyways... I've always been able to rely on myself quite a bit, and that's been great.

But then there are the dark times. The lows in life. The valley between the mountains. And during those times, I am nothing without my friends and family. Some people view that as a weakness; I don't. I feel sorry for people who refuse to allow those close to them to shoulder some of their burden when they can't handle it themselves. My journey to where I am now has been filled with ups and downs. I've lost some family and friends along the way. I've had points where I've been on top of the world, looking out at the sunrise from the top of a mountain. I've had struggles that have left me clinging on to a mere thread of hope, love, and faith. I'm scared that some things I will have to face one day will destroy me. But even then, I know that I will be okay if I am surrounded by those I love. Who ever said we had this life figured out to the point where we are capable of going at it alone?

I'm having trouble collecting my thoughts at the moment. I guess that's a good sign to call it quits for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment